Welcome to another update of this project. I was thinking what I should do with this kit and finally decided to do some experiments. The first is trying to do a white wash without chemical product, but just with acryl and a clay wash. The products I used:
I started with the washable white camo from Ammo of Mig. It’s very thin and you put spots, lines, bigger parts on the model wich can be manipulated with tap water. It’s really washing your model with white chalk. The next step was to bring this alive with the clay wash, Light. I was not unhappy with the result.
I sealed it with semigloss varnish for the next step.
The next step is also an experiment. For this is used washes from Citadel.
I played with the color, used them for shadowing and enriching the colors.
It looks a bit funny but I do like it. Next step is more weathering with darker clay washes. Hope you like this.
This time a short update. As I had to clean up my workroom I had not really time to go further with this project. The only thing I have finished is the stowage. I painted with several green and khaki color from the Vallejo Modle Color range. Now the part have dried I have glued them on the M2.
The M2 has a base color and some color modulation although is not good the see on the pictures. First I had given the model a primer coat with grey primer from Vallejo. That coat had dried for about a half day.
Then I started with the darkest color of a set of Olive Drab color from the Ammo of Mig range. I used this color for doing the shadowing, not on the whole model. After that is used the base color and lighted it up with some light base color. Finally I mixed in some of the highlight color to give some hue on the top parts.
I sealed the paint with Vallejo Satin Varnish. I will leave this drying over night before I can start with the decals.
In the meantime I gave the stowage a primer with Chaos Black from the Citadel range.
The stowage will be painted with different colors from the Vallejo Model Color range.
The build of this model is finished. Had to do some gap filling. The fit of the rear part was very tight and finally to tight so it caused a little gap. With a bit evergreen strip the small gap could be closed and it looked better. This is how it looks after the build is finished.
I have some stowage to put on the model to give it a bit more expression. The tarp on the top and some parts for the front and a big stowage box on the back. I will also use wheels with chains. All the stowage parts were from the old kit and I cleaned them as best I could.
Now I have to protect some parts for the paint. After that finished I can start with the painting of the model.
Today I have been busy with the interior of the M2. In de back are seat, a radio en some small parts to place. Everything fits good, no problems. Then you have to join the cabine with the back part but I saw that I had to paint it first before I could finally glue the part together. On the second picture you see the tarp that I had saved from the first build of the M2.
I have decided to make a M2 in a winter setting with stowage somewhere in the last winter of WOII. But first I have to finish the last parts of the build.
In this update I show what I have done. First I have painted the chassis, wheels and tracks.
I have let it dried for several days. In the meantime I build the cabine and bonnet/hood/ I could have opened some parts of the hood but decided not to do this. There is a nice engine but it would have needed some extra details if I wanted to show it.
The cabine and hood.
The next part wil be the rear chairs, radio’s and back of the M2A1.
I went further with step 5,6 and 7. This steps are for building the chassis, tracks, wheels and all the order parts.
I had some problems with the tracks. They are in two parts, stiff and not very easy to work with. But after some thinking I build glued them first together, put in the two outer wheels and when that was dry, I fixed the construction on the chassis and that worked out te be the best way to fix these parts.
I had the experience with the first M2A1 I build, that the upper parts need to be tested before they can be fitted on the chassis,
I have to decided if I will first paint the chassis and the underside of the upper parts.
The BTR80 is still waiting for some weathering but I don’t have an idea what I wanted to archive with this project so I decided to start another build. I had already build a MA21 in the past but that project was not a succes because I wanted to fast, made mistakes and then lost interest and finally the kit finished in the garbage. I saves some parts like the stowage. I had then the opportunity the buy the kit again from a fellow modeler, had big plans with the kit but non of plans was good enough.
But a few weeks ago I found the kit back in my stash and today I started with the build of the kit. First the box and whats inside.
The instructions are not always clear, very busy and there are mistakes so you have to be very careful before attaching the parts. Also it’s important to dry fit the parts before glue them in place.
Step 1 tells you to prepare parts that will be used later.
Step 3 and 4
With care and patience the kit fits good.
Please like & share:
Kliederkwast & Kronkels
K&K is mijn nieuwe weblog. Jarenlang heb ik een weblog gehad waar ik spinsels en kronkels op schreef. Dat begon te vervelen waardoor geleidelijk mijn oude blog verouderde en een zieltogend bestaan leidde. Onlangs heb ik mijn oude blog weggegooid. Aangezien ik een poosje geleden op Facebook mijn werk liet zien en ik dat niet helemaal prettig kon samenvoegen heb ik een nieuwe blog gestart met daarop mijn hobbymatige uitingen.
Behalve het tonen van mijn werk zal ik af en toe een kronkel schrijven.